Friday 5 March 2010

Decent Proposal After an Exam Letdown!

Last month's exam results were not what I hoped or particularly expected.  At the time of the ACCA exams in December 2009, I was 50/50 as to whether I'd passed either of them.  So obtaining 48 in Law and 47 in Financial Management (pass mark was 50) was disappointing and very annoying!  So close, yet so far...

With the holiday to Florida, my sister's wedding and my brother's first baby's birth all being in May (well, the latter's expected date!), I don't have time to revise for both again.  Thus, I shall only be re-taking Financial Management - and am determined to pass it at the second time of asking.  Third-time-lucky for the Law will have to wait til December, or even June 2011 if I run out of days off at work!

But on to happier news...

I am engaged.  Yes, he of "I'm never gonna get married as I don't want to get divorced" fame finally bit the bullet to make and honest woman of Phee.  I won't bother you with the sloppy details, but it was on her 21st birthday, in the Winter Gardens in Bournemouth with just a few squirrels as witnesses!  And I did get on one knee, albeit it after the actual proposal.  And I did get a ring, despite having very little money!  And Phee loves it, which is what counts...

As for the what's, when's, who's, hows and whys... there is so much to work out.  The provisional date, which had been set way before we got engaged, is the 29th December 2012... the next time my Nan's birthday falls on a Saturday, and is six days after the anniversary of when we first started dating.

Family are already expecting an Engagement Party... or two!  The likelihood is that we will have a gathering in Hull and in Devon for both sides of the family.  I shall no doubt arrange the Devon shindig, with maybe a small(ish) get together at the Three Tuns in Honiton, as I'm sure my Mum can get it cheap/free!  Of course, DJ RichieB will be spinning the (digital mp3-shaped) discs!

My best man, as if was ever in any doubt, is my best mate Gofer,  Phee's maid of honour is her best mate, Hannah.  I will probably stick with tradition and have some of my brothers as ushers and I know that Phee wants her sister, Tasha, and my niece, Alice, as her bridesmaids amongst others.  And no doubt my brother's unborn baby, code name Peanut, will be pageboy/flower girl!

We will not have a religious ceremony (unless it's satanic), nor will it be in a registry office (I want more atmosphere).  Current venues (which is likely to be in Surrey/Hampshire, where we live) are a decent hotel, a small castle type place or Nuthanger Farm!  Okay, given the latter is no doubt owned by people I don't actually know, it is highly unlikely... but I'd love to get married on/near Watership Down!

They are, I think, the only details that have vaguely been decided.  Any other questions can be forwarded to our official wedding planner, Julaloo!

No comments: