Wednesday 30 September 2009

Let's Play Darts!

Darts has made a long awaited return to my life!


After a practice night the other week, last Friday saw my competitive debut for Alton Cricket Club's AC/DC darts team. Captained by Ian Gillingham, AC/DC play in the Alton Friday Night League.



I had already made an impression on the practice night, by beating the captain in our friendly match-up and also performing well in the "finishing challenge".



My first league game in over a year was more intense though, as the nerves that had thwarted my last season in the Sidmouth League returned under the pressure of standing at the oche. That said, the team had already lost the single match and over match by the time I was on last (being 0-5 at that point).



I stepped up for the straight-501 start, wishing I had the chance to build up a head-start by starting on a double - one of my strengths! Alas, I had to make do with a 40 average (if that!) and found myself slightly behind all the way down. The difference between me and my opponent was finishing. I finished both legs within three darts, including a 63 out. A 2-0 win isn't bad for someone who hadn't played a proper game since May 2008!



I wasn't selected for the doubles, as we had ten players available for the first match, and the team went down 0-3 in the doubles. That's 1-8 over all! But, as I'm not available this coming Friday, I keep my 100% record for two full weeks!



The league itself is actually split into a singles league and a doubles league. Bizarre, but there you go!





This weekend sees the sending off of some good friends of mine, Ed and Tilly. More to come on them (and my football teams' progress) after this Friday nights drunken shenanigans!



No comments: