Thursday 8 May 2008

Surrey Calling!

I am making a big change in my life. It is bigger than anything I have done before. I am upping sticks completely and moving to Surrey!

Sophie is at University in Farnham, at the U.C.C.A. there. She's going to (hopefully) be there for another two years. That's a hell of a long time to be travelling up and back from Devon... it's hard going more than a few days without seeing her. My solution: Move there.

First off, I wanted to find a place to live. Being a non-student (and seeking a job), I thought this might be difficult. Indeed, Sophie's first phone call involved a woman laughing at her, telling her she'd never heard of such a thing and that we'd need luck. Thankfully, the next call proved more positive!

The tenancy agreement is signed and ready to go and we will have a "two room suite" in a five bedroom shared house in Hale Road, Farnham. It will be redecorated too, and we have the opportunity to add our personal influence to the house, as the landlord is very open to what we want to do. That includes putting my dartboard up and hopefully improving my form!

As well as a house, I needed to sort a job out. How else would I be paying the rent; Sophie's loan won't cover it! I took a couple days off and had three interviews. At the second interview, for a firm in Alton, I felt right at home as soon as I sat down. Wettone Matthews' office is very similar to Easterbrooks' Sidmouth office. Thankfully, they liked me as much as I liked them and offered me the position of Trainee Accountant. I will be starting ACCA training next year and will be getting a nice pay rise!

What else in my life will change with this move?

Well, my duties with Rockbeare Rangers Football Club will reduce drastically, as they have already begun to. As of next season, I shall merely be Webmaster. And President or Non-Executive Director! I want a poncy name after being one of the Club founders! I will miss playing, especially with Ian on board to change the Club's fortunes...

Goodridge (link requires Facebook account) will also be doing without my services! They have replaced me with Johnny Beer and I guess he can do the job! I will be getting a team shirt and might play the occasional game when I'm back visiting any weekend! My testimonial will be coming up soon, hopefully against Mikey P's team.

I will not text my postcode to 66611 and neither should you. But I digress.

Darts is taking a back foot. Which it needs! Instead, I shall help Sophie improve her game. She's really keen to get better. Actually, I think she just wants to beat me!

I'm leaving my friends and family behind. It's lucky most of them are on my Facebook really! It's going to be difficult at first, knowing only Sophie's Uni mates, my new housemates and my new work colleagues. This is the only scary bit of the move really. My increasing social anxiety worries me, as I don't want to freeze among new people. First impressions mean a lot!

The move is the weekend of 19th July. My new job started on Monday 21st July. I think I'll start a Facebook group. I mean, you'll wanna know when the Leaving Do, Housewarming and other such parties are... right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's sad to hear that you are going, but good to know that you are prepared enough to have a house to settle into, and a new job with a pay rise to enjoy.

If you can overcome your social anxiety enough to not be shy, I'm sure you'll do just fine. You're a pleasant person to be around, and no doubt you'll be friends with everybody if you just give it a shot.

Hope to see you soon anyway dude. Take care